RE: Virtual servers and LVS

To: "Pietro Ravasio" <pietro.ravasio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Virtual servers and LVS
Cc: "Edward Chow" <chow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Edward Chow" <chow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:27:28 -0600

Peitro,

For some one to diagnose your problem, you need to include the related <virtualhost> block directives in  the httpd.conf file. For the named-based virtual hosting,  common problems are

  1. In virtualhost directives, you specified full domain name, e.g., b2b.ucs.edu, while the users enter part of the domain name, e.g., b2b, in their browsers.  The apache (1.3.12) finds the value in the Host meta header is b2b and not b2b.ucs.edu in httpd.conf.  It will fail to match the virtual hosted site and return the default web site. We solve this puzzle in class.  More likely this is the source of your problem?
  2. the domain name of the virutal site are not registered or not entered in the dns server.
I have not verified that on our LVS with Apache servers yet.

Edward
Professor Edward Chow                      Email: chow@xxxxxxxxxxx
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs http://cs.uccs.edu/~chow/
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway                 TEL: (719)262-3110
Colorado Springs, CO 80933-7150            FAX: (719)262-3369