Re: newbie question

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: newbie question
Cc: fred@xxxxxxxxx
From: Wesley Darlington <wesley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:53:13 +0000
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:22:16AM -0000, Frédéric Schwien wrote:
> is it possible to have a cluster with , say 1 http server for static pages
> and 2 Apache servers for dynamic pages ?
>
> ie, having a rule that sends requests with www.domain.com/cgi-bin to one of
> 2 servers , and other requests to a third server ?
>
> I do not think it is manageable only with linuxvirtualserver, since http
> appears in layer 5 , ... but then, does anybody have an advice to try to do
> it ?

I don't think it's really within lvs' ken, but it is do-able with
apache's mod_rewrite - specifically it's proxy [P] feature. You'll
probably need to include mod_proxy in your apache too.

Alternatively, have all machines do everything and use mod_backhand.

Finally, check out the amazing mod_perl guide...

    http://perl.apache.org/guide/

...specifically where it talks about light and heavy servers. :-)

ATB,
Wesley.