Re: LVS+DNS Howto ??

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS+DNS Howto ??
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:52:24 -0500
A few things:

1) Be sure you're forwarding TCP/53 and UDP/53.

2) Be sure that you have a definition in your nameserver for the virtual
name in which it is being called through the LinuxDirector.

That is, say you're balancing DNS on an IP 192.168.16.1. If you cannot look
up 192.168.16.1 on the real-server nameserver, then some programs (like
nslookup) will make it appear like DNS load balancing isn't working when it
actually is.

So make sure 192.168.16.1 looks up to be ns.myplace.blah.

Now regarding UDP/53 and which send string... I haven't really ever
thoroughly studied the RFC on nameserver communication, but I AM *GUESSING*
that the UDP stuff is only used for updates. That is, I'm not really sure
you're going to get any sort of response from your nameserver if you send it
information over UDP. I think that UDP is only used when a master nameserver
needs to send updates to its slaves. That's the only thing that makes sense
to me as to how UDP would be used.

I'm FAIRLY sure that actual nameserver communication (like the type you'll
be loadbalancing) is chiefly TCP in its nature. That is, one CONNECTS to a
nameserver and then requests information. This sounds like a TCP operation
to me.

If you're not balancing your TCP, that would definitely explain why you're
getting timeouts.

All the best --
Ted