Re: How can i run win 2000 as real server in Direct Routing?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How can i run win 2000 as real server in Direct Routing?
Cc: "Parallel Research Group" <prg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Putchong Uthayopas" <pu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:19:34 +0700
Hi,

> o Interesting arguments such as:" This architecture maximizes throughput
>   by using the broadcast subnet to deliver incoming network traffic to
>   all cluster hosts and by eliminating the need to route incoming
>   packets to individual cluster hosts. Since filtering unwanted packets
>   is faster than routing packets (which involves receiving, examining,
>   rewriting, and resending), Network Load Balancing delivers higher
>   network throughput than dispatcher-based solutions. As network and
>   server speeds grow, its throughput also grows proportionally, thus
>   eliminating any dependency on a particular hardware routing
implementation.
>   For example, Network Load Balancing has demonstrated 250 megabits per
>   second (Mbps) throughput on Gigabit networks."

This is very interesting. Some questions:
1. What will happened if client also share the same subnet as the cluster
farm? Are the clients still working fine under this massive broadcast? Or we
alway need to use dedicate a subnet behind router for the farm. Again, how
can we use it in intranet environment when small to medium size company use
a single subnet for the whole company.

2. Although the reason sound quite good, but it seems a little strange to
me. By not examining the package, net work load balancing host  can give
much better dispatching throughput. But that will be true only for the load
balancing host. Since the task of  discarding unwanted packet now move to
all hosts in the farm, each one have to work harder since it has been
bombarded by broadcast packet. Moreover, for each host to deny packet, it
seems that they have to received the packet, examine the header and discard
it , I would say, most of the time. This does not seems to be the task that
can automatically done by NIC.
Isn't this slowed down each host since it must handle massive amount of
interrupt from NIC all the time? OK, I am not sure how network subsystem
work so I would like to get an expert opinion on this.

 Again, I am not an expert so I might be wrong. Please help correct me.

Thanks,

Putchong