what is an "active connection" for scheduling?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: what is an "active connection" for scheduling?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 07:26:49 -0400
according to the ipvsadm man page, for "lc" scheduling, the
new connections are assigned according to the number of
"active connections". Is this the same as "ActConn" in the
output of ipvsadm?

I've been running the polygraph simple.pg test over the weekend
using rr scheduling on what (AFAIK) are 4 identical real-servers
in a VS-NAT LVS. There are no ActConn and a large number of
InActConn. Presumably the client makes a new connection for each
request. Over a period of time the number of InActConn (and
load average) on two of the real-servers drops to about 2% of the
other two real-servers. Changing the scheduling to lc doesn't change
this. I don't know why two of the real-servers are not getting
their share of requests with rr, but I would have expected that
whatever the problem was, then changing to "lc" would fix it.

(I will have to look further to see if these real-servers
are in fact identical)

If the number of "active connections" used to determine the
scheduling is "ActConn", then for services which don't
maintain connections, the scheduler won't have much information,
just "0" for all real-servers?