Re: inserting iptables rules

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dglidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: inserting iptables rules
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:45:02 -0400
Derek Glidden wrote:

> If I understand the question, this would be the easiest way to go about
> it.  You'd start with something like this (INPUT or whatever default
> table you're modifying):
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -j SERVICES
> iptables -A INPUT -j DROP

> then change/modify the SERVICES chain to your heart's content to
> add/remove new rules.
.
.
> iptables -A SERVICES -p tcp --dport 25 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT

so the commands won't be traversed in the order I add them. If I start
with an empty chain SERVICES as above (which is followed by the DROP rule),
then I can later add/delete to the SERVICES chain and the packets
will have to traverse all the SERVICES rules before they return
to the default (here DROP) rule.

> By doing it that way, you can just "-A"ppend new rules to the SERVICES
> chain without having to fiddle with where to "-I"nsert, and then
> "-D"elete a rule using the same parameters you used to insert and again
> don't have to know what rule # that rule was.

thanks