New way to handle ARP: with route flag (was Re: howto hidden/arp_filter

To: "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: New way to handle ARP: with route flag (was Re: howto hidden/arp_filter with linux 2.4.5)
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:02:14 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On 2 Jun 2001, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

> Julian,
>
> you are certainly aware that kernel 2.4.5 has arp_filter and your
> hidden patch doesn't apply anymore. Could you please shed some light
> on the change?--Thanks!

        Oh, thanks! Sorry that I almost forgot to port the hidden feature
considering the following new solution I ported last week to 2.4.5 :)

        About your question: what change to comment exactly? If you
mean whether arp_filter solves the ARP problems for the LVS users, the
short answer is No.

        First for the hidden feature for 2.4.5: I just uploaded it to:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/hidden-2.4.5-1.diff

I hope it works (I only compiled it, tests scheduled for the next days :)).

        About the ARP handling with route flags.

        This is a new proposal to control the ARP probes and replies
based on route flag "noarp". It will be discussed on the netdev mailing
list and may be something like this is going to be included in 2.4,
may be in 2.2 too, not sure. All you know that the hidden feature is
not considered to 2.4. The net developers have the final word. I'll
try to maintain the hidden flag in all next kernels while this flag is
more usable than the new feature and because the hidden flag has other
semantic. And because may be there are some user space tools that rely
on this.

        The patches and their description are here:

Kernel patch:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/noarp-2.4.5-1.diff

Iproute2 patch:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/iproute2-noarp-1.diff

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/route-noarp.txt

You comments, suggestions and test results are welcome!

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>