Re: director goes offline and multiple virtualhosts

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: director goes offline and multiple virtualhosts
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:35:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, steve mcconnell wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I am experiencing a peculiar problem with my test lvs_dr setup.
> when I run rc.lvs_dr
>
> made from the following:
>
> LVS_TYPE=VS_DR
> INITIAL_STATE=on
> VIP=eth0:110 207.100.37.10 255.255.255.255 207.100.37.10
> DIRECTOR_INSIDEIP=eth0 207.100.37.2 255.255.255.0 207.100.38.255
> SERVICE=t http rr 207.100.37.3:http 207.100.37.4:http

remove the ":http" after the IPs. You can't set the ports
on the real-servers for VS-DR. I don't know what happens
if you have the ports in the SERVICE line like this.

> SERVER_VIP_DEVICE=lo:0
> SERVER_NET_DEVICE=eth0
> SERVER_DEFAULT_GW=207.100.37.1
>

> it takes my director completely off the network till I re-run
> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

Presumably there is something about your setup I haven't anticipated.

Whats does "off the the network" mean? Can you ping any other machines?
From your info below, it appears that the interfaces are OK. What does
netstat -rn say?

Do you get any error messages when running rc.lvs_dr from the director's
console (there's lots of output). To trap the errors (that I've
anticipated) do something like

#./rc.lvs_dr >/dev/null

otherwise look at the verbose output of

#./rc.lvs_dr

If that doesn't help then send me (offline to jmack@xxxxxxxx) the output
of

#./rc.lvs_dr >lvs.out 2>&1

and

#sh -x ./rc.lvs_dr >lvs_shx.out 2>&1

>  then all is well, and the lvsdir will work as planned.  the interfaces are

thanks for the detailed info. It all looks OK at the moment.

> and 2:
>  can anyone point me to the conf file/docs section to allow the director to
> accept requests for multiple virtualhosts on the realservers? I have seen
> this mentioned in the archives, but none of my attempts have been
> successful.
>
> I am thinking that you assign VIP=eth0:111  xxx xxx etc, but how do you get
> SERVER_VIP_DEVICE to pick that up correctly?

yes.
You set CLEAR_IPVS_TABLES to N and make a new rc.lvs_dr and then rerun
it. As long as you don't change the real-server network in the new conf
file, it shoudl work.

This is not a terribly satisfactory solution and I'm going to come up
with another eventually.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx