Re: Making a "virtual" default gateway...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, martin@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Making a "virtual" default gateway...
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:53:13 -0400
Martin Sk?tt wrote:

> Situation:
> I have several ADSL connections to the Internet (same ISP) and I wan't
> all the users on my network to be using them. I would offcourse like it to
> work in a way so that all the lines are utilised all the time and without
> assigning groups of users to specific gateways. I hope you get what I mean
> or else I hope this shows it better:
>
>                                                                 Internet
>                                                                 /
> My users ---- Linux box with LVS - Internet
>                                                                 \
>                                                                 Internet
>
> What I wanna do is to assign all the users on my network with one default
> gateway, the LVS box. Is this possible? Has anyone done it? I think dynamic
> routing is the way but I'm not sure.

You could certainly do this with LVS, although I would hope that the routing
people had already handled this (although I'm not sure what the answer is).
You can have multiple default gw and the router will pick between them
(using some algorithm that I don't know) and presumably all ADSL lines
will get used equally.

As for doing by LVS (which I hope you don't have to do), you could set
up a director to be a router and setup like it was infront of 4 squid
boxes (you'll need the IP's of the other end of the ADSL link).

There's an example proxy server setup at

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-8.html#ss8.17

(It's hard to figure out where to put these examples in the HOWTO.
This example is in fwmarks. I looked for it first in "squids",
then in transparent proxy, and then
I had to put my editor onto it, to find it in fwmark.)