Re: Using LVS to change destination MAC addresses

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using LVS to change destination MAC addresses
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:06:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, jac wrote:

No need to use LVS,  use the heartbeat code and send out gratutious arps &
DHCP requestsfor each MAC address.  You can probably create interface
aliases on your interface and most modern OS's allow you to specify the
MAC address.

-Matt

> Hi,
>     I am trying to figure out a solution to this problem.  My ISP assigns me
> 3 IP addresses via dhcp.  I have a network of 10 computers masquerated behind
> the ip address of the firewall, no problem there.  I have 2 servers that are
> connected directly to the internet using dhcp.  I would like to move the 2
> servers behind the firewall and use 1:1 NAT.  Everything is fine but my
> firewall only has 3 interfaces (LAN,DMZ,Internet) and my ISP will only assign
> 1 IP per MAC address. I've been reading the lvs documentation and think that
> it might help me solve this.  Is it possible to use LVS in a DR configuration
> to forward all pack recieved on 2 interfaces to another interface on the LAN.
>
> internet---| hub  |---------------------------|     FIREWALL   |
>                  |  |
>                  |  |
>                  |  |
>                 -------
>                LVS Director
>
> So basically the LVS Director will get 2 IP's from my ISP via DHCP (always
> the same address) and any traffic recieved on those 2 interfaces will get
> retransmitted on the lan with the MAC address of the firewall as the
> destination (then the firewall performs the NAT and everyone is happy). Is
> this a possible configuration for LVS, it is the closest software that I
> could find to do such a thing.  If possible how should I configure the LVS
> director?
>
> Thanks alot,
> Jon

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com