Re: IPVS Synchronization bug

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IPVS Synchronization bug
From: Fabrice <fabrice@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:55:56 +0200
Hello,

I made some tests today:

With "ip route":
================

I added the following rule to the master load balancer:

ip route add 224.0.0.81 dev eth2 src 192.168.3.1

And it worked (you need to restart the synchronization
daemon on the master load balancer).

With "route":
=============

I executed the following command:

route add -host 224.0.0.81 dev eth2

And, as Julian told me, I saw that it didn't set the "prefered
source address" parameter in the routing table. But even
without it, it did work because it took the IP address of
eth2 (which is correct).

Btw, the routes seems to have been configured with "ip route"
because they all have their "prefered source address"
parameter correctly filled. Maybe the "route" command sets
it by default to the interface's address.

Multicast and IGMP:
===================

To be able to receive Multicast packets, the receiving host
must join the correct multicast group. This is done with the
IGMP protocol.

So, normally, when the backup daemon starts, it should send
and IGMP packet to tell the master that it joined his group.

When the master has a "connections sychronizations" packet
to send, it should look in his list of group members to determine
on which interface send the multicast packets. It also should
set the source address of the respective interface.

Thanks,

Fabrice Bucher