VRRP & OpenSource issue

To: vrrp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: VRRP & OpenSource issue
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 10:12:52 +0100
Hello,

I am sending this email to obtain some clarifications about patents on VRRP
protocol and application of this patents to OpenSource ?

I am from the LinuxVirtualServer OpenSource project
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org

We have done a VRRP implementation to use with LVS, with a little RFC
modification adding a VRRP Instance synchronization facility (a monitored
circuit ala Nokia like). You can find internals implementation issue in
this paper :
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~acassen/LVS-HA-using-VRRPv2.pdf

but what about : http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR//VRRP-CISCO &
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/NAT-VRRP-IBM

And the 2 patents :
From CISCO : http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US06108300__
From Nortel Network : http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=EP01006702A3

=> When We read this papers we can't find any OpenSource restrictions...

Can someone give me officials information on that point ?

Best regards,
Alexandre Cassen
LinuxVirtualServer OpenSource Project
acassen@xxxxxxxxxxxx