lvs-NAT & failover of MS IIS servers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: lvs-NAT & failover of MS IIS servers
From: "Bruce Pennypacker" <bruce+lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:49:09 -0500
Hi all,

We've been using lvs successfully with our DNS servers for quite some time.
We're now trying to set it up as a NAT front end for a cluster of Microsoft
IIS web server (unfortunately I have no control over this or I would have
told them to use linux & apache long ago...)  I have an lvs-NAT box set up
and running using a 2.4.9 kernel and the appropriate patches from
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/index.html for this version.  It
appears that the lvs server isn't detecting if one of the IIS servers dies,
resulting in some of the web hits returning errors when the NAT round robin
hits that server.  Is there something that I need to do to get the lvs
server to recognize that the IIS server is down, or is there nothing that
can be done about this?

Thanks,

-Bruce