Re: Socket

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Socket
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:03:25 +0100
Hello,

lidsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have read some documents abount LVS, and I am puzzled how virtual server
finds
a real server which had been in downtime.Because the dispatcher don't get
the status
of the real servers.Would you tell me about it>

The director (dispatcher) doesn't know about the RS as you stated correctly. But it also can't figure out which RS is in what state (with state referring to physically reachable or/and service reachable).

What you're referring to maybe are the various 3rd party user space software healthchecker that as their names imply perform kind of a RS service monitoring. In case a defined healthcheck for a service fails, the user space tools needs to initialize the removal of this entry in the IPVS template. This can happen via a ipvsadm call in the shell or, to finally address your subject, via a netlink socket. The LVS code per se has no means to provide you with this functionality. I hope I explained it to your best understanding.

Thank you very much!
        lidsa

You're very welcome. Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz