Re: ping hanging?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ping hanging?
From: "Ben" <bench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:07:59 -0700
> > I am pinging a set of RIP from the LVS as well as the Big Brother
display
> > server, which is outside of my LVS cluster entirely. So, most pings go
out
> > one interface, and one ping goes out the other. Most of the time, I've
> > noticed ping hanging while pinging the Big Brother server (eth0), but
I've
> > seen it hang pinging the RIPs as well (eth1).
>
> I'm sorry, this is confusing me. But I think the essence of your
> explanation was, that the BB server is outside the LVS, right?

Sorry for being confusing. You are correct, the BB server is outside the
LVS. The BB client running on the director pings the RIPs using one
interface (eth1) and the BB server using the other interface (eth0). I've
seen it hung up on both interfaces - i.e. the problem is not specific to
just one interface, not that it's hung on both interfaces at once.

> Ok, so far we have a BB client running on LVS and a server (also used to
> display the results) outside the LVS cluster. The BB client hangs while
> trying to ping. If you run a BB client on a non-LVS machine, it works.

Exactly.

> > server, which is outside the LVS. I'm not really sure what you're asking
> > about where the problem shows up.... the problem is that Big Brother
spawns
> > /bin/ping and waits for it to complete, but it never does because it's
stuck
> > (somehow) in recvmsg(), even though the code show that it passes
recvmsg()
> > the MSG_DONTWAIT option.
>
> I'm confused by the statement part "... every once in a while ..."
> because this is a bit flaky. Either it works or it doesn't, how can it
> work sometimes and sometimes not?

That's my question too. I don't see why it ever fails, but the facts are
that runs successfully every 5 minutes, and only once every week or so does
it get stuck on something.

> Do you have any dynamically changing
> things running on the director? Or do you have any packet filter rules
> enabled?

Nothing changes dynamically. I do run mon to test the status of my real
servers, but actions triggered by mon are not related to ping hanging,
either in time or frequency.

> Ok. Did you set up the LVS by hand or did you use some tools like
> piranha or whatever is floating around?

By hand. As far as I can tell, LVS works perfectly before, after, and during
a ping hang. I'm not implying that LVS is at fault for this - it's just that
I can't think of any other factors and was hoping somebody else here had
some ideas.

> If it is possible, could you test the BB client after a 'ipvsadm -C'?

Sure, next time I need to clear the table.

> Does manually pinging a RS work? or does it hang too?

That works fine whenever I try it by hand. And like I said above, it works
fine for BB most of the time too.