Re: No buffer space available

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jeremy Kusnetz <JKusnetz@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: No buffer space available
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:17:58 +0200
The way I have things set up, I am running up to 8 virtual IPs for each
realserver for each VIP.  This means:
53 VIPs
8 services/VIP
6 realservers
53*8*6 = 2688 RIPs!

Ok. But why again do you need 53 VIP's? A VIP is a service and I have a bit a hard time understanding how you can find 53 services to load balance. I mean, I know about /etc/services, but seriously may I ask, what you're load balancing? Could dump a 'ipvsadm -n -L' for me please?

Jeez' what the hell are you running on this box?
MON is check each one of those 2688 RIPs for the service that is bound to
them.  Again, maybe not such a good idea.

Yes, I didn't realize that you're checking 2688 RIPs :) Ok, this looks like a new dimension to LVS. I'm glad someone really tries something funny after all those years of LVS development.

Ok, try following

echo "4096" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh3

and try to ping again and check dmesg.
I'll try that next time and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll
try: "ip route flush cache"

Well, you can try it right away and see if that line stil appears in the dmesg?

I'm always open to creative solutions!!!  Unfortuntitely I'm using qmail as
the MTU, qmail doesn't check to see of a user exist locally before adding
the message to the queue.  I do lots of creative things once the message is

I remember having seen patches floating around for this. But I'm unfortunately not the right person to ask when it comes to emails. I know though, that there is a great deal of very knowledgeable people on this list that could help you.

in the queue to purge them quickly, but we still get hit pretty hard.  The
iptables chains we were using was one method we tried to help.  Basically we
listened for the rate of "rcpt to" in the packets hitting our servers.  If
one IP or one network sent >N mails in X seconds they would be added to the
list.

Maybe you could also rate limit it with QoS but let's first fix your first problem.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc