Re: Trouble whiile balancing www requests from aol users

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Trouble whiile balancing www requests from aol users
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:53:30 +0100
On 2003-01-30T12:25:04,
   Matthias Krauss <MKrauss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Hello List,
> finaly i turned on our lvs on our entire plattform and it didnt
> took long till the phone rings by aol people, they are switching
> between their own proxys with the result that the targed web
> will be different but we need it persitant.
>
> Did anybody of you dealed with this issue ?

Well, this is a generic problem. The persistency netmask feature might help
you, in exchange for lower granularity of the load balancing, but it shouldn't
matter on a larger scale; however, all AOL users will then likely hit the same
webserver. Oh, well.

It just goes on to show that IP addresses are unsuitable to identify a single
user ;-) Real fix would be to use layer7 switching based on the URL or a
cookie, even; alternatively, you could make your application less dependent on
persistence, for example by storing your session data in a global cache/db,
which would also make it easier for you to preserve sessions when a single
webserver fails.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
Principal Squirrel
SuSE Labs - Research & Development, SuSE Linux AG

"If anything can go wrong, it will." "Chance favors the prepared (mind)."
  -- Capt. Edward A. Murphy            -- Louis Pasteur