Almost working, but not quite

Subject: Almost working, but not quite
Cc: "'Sebastien.Bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <Sebastien.Bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Jervis <michael.jervis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:18:39 -0000
I'm nearly there with configuring my two-box LVS-DR system, thanks in no small
part to the invaluable help of Sebastien.

I'm currently set up with a single director on machine 1, with a localnode
apache:

Machine 1 (Director + localnode):

eth0: 10.122.15.41 (DIP/RIP)
eth0:1 10.122.15.42 (VIP)
DGW: 10.122.254.254

ipvsadm
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.122.15.42:http rr
  -> 10.122.15.41:http            Local   1      0          1
  -> 10.122.15.43:http            Masq    1      0          1

Machine 2 (realserver):

eth0: 10.122.15.43
lo:0: 10.122.15.42
DGW: 10.122.254.254

I've used the MasarLabs NoArp module provided by Sebastien to solve the ARP
problem.

The system 'works', but all responses come from Machine 1. Machine 2 never
manges to serve an HTML page to the client (10.122.16.48). I can ping machine
1, machine 2 and VIP from the 48 machine. I can telnet on port 80 to machine 1
and machine 2 from the client. I can ping the client from machine 2
and machine 1, and can ping machine 1 and machine 2 from each other. Further,
from machine 1 and machine 2 I can telnet to all three IP addresses on port 80
(Machine1:80, Machine2:80 and VIP:80) and get a correct response. (On the VIP
all responses are from the same machine, i.e. machine 1 telnet to
vip and get machine 1 all the time).

The only problem is when requesting the VIP from the client, I always get the
machine 1. On Machine2's time it fails to connect via telent, and the browser
eventualy resends the request and gets Machine 1.

I tried moving the VIP from eth0:0 on machine 1 to lo:0 on machine 1 and the
same thing happens.

I'm hoping it's something stupid that I've overlooked in my set up due to the
time pressures and my total lack of networking know-how. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Mike