keepalived + rsync checks

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: keepalived + rsync checks
From: John Reuning <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 May 2003 14:46:36 -0400
I have a question about keepalived service checks for rsync on the real
servers.  Each keepalived tcp check to port 873 causes these messages
every 2 seconds in the rsyncd log:

2003/05/25 21:17:49 [29016] rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 12
bytes: phase "unknown": Connection reset by peer
2003/05/25 21:17:49 [29016] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data
stream (code 12) at io.c(515)

The volume of messages is a problem.  Has anyone set up an indirect
check for a service to avoid these connection issues?  According to the
keepalived documentation, it should be difficult.  Apache is also
running on the real servers, so a cron-job-generated web page would work
for an http check.  I'm curious, though, if someone has suggestions.

Thanks,

-John R.