Re: is the LVS hash function susceptible to DoS?

Subject: Re: is the LVS hash function susceptible to DoS?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:20:43 +0200
Hi Joe,

Joseph Mack wrote:
Here's a posting in ./ to an article about DoS attacks on hash functions.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/31/2157254&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=172

Old news ;). Check out the following thread (actually they discuss two things):

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-net&m=105325042601829&w=2

is LVS susceptible to this sort of attack on the connection hash table?

Yes, under the constraints of the attacks realm, meaning that almost every deficiency showing up in the vanilla kernel is highly likely to hit a kernel patched with LVS too. In this case it's the input routing cache.

I would imagine that the client only has a small number of variables (the
port they are sending from?), the others being fixed (CIP, VIP:port).
and probably can't mount much of an attack even if they can choose the
ports at the clients end.

Ohh, now I understand! Interesting qustion, indeed. I would need to go back and check with the code (could be another week or so) unless someone beats me to it. Theoretically we're susceptible to this sort of attack, yes. Check out the devastating effects on running Julian's testlvs with certain parameters.

However, I think you need to fill up the LVS connection bucket a lot to have a remarkable DoS on table lookups. Wensong, Julian and me once tested a couple case scenarios but actually never measured the performance impact on the linked list chain length.

You can still enable tcp defence strategies of LVS though :).

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc