advice needed from kernel programmers for LVS patch

To: LVS List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: advice needed from kernel programmers for LVS patch
From: Vinnie <listacct1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:10:52 -0400
Hi everyone,

I've been halfway maintaining the Antefacto patch for IPVS for a few weeks now. (Which, all I've really done is get some helpful info from Ben North about what parts of the original Antefacto patch were still necessary in newer IPVS/kernel sources, and hand-fit them in to a couple of the newer 2.4 kernels, along with Marc Christian Petersen).

I don't have much to speak of as far as C programming skills, I understand just enough about C source code to try to carefully fit patches into place, and so far seem to have had pretty good results.

The IPVS source maintainers would like to get a thing or two added to the Antefacto patch, so as to make it a bit more "detectable" when it has been applied. I don't know that it would be possible to add any control capabilities to antefacto without a lot of work, and not so sure what kind of control functionality would be useful anyway - this is the sort of patch that you would only apply if you need the specific functionality - to be able run your Director as a stateful firewall with an iptables ruleset, and have netfilter/iptables know what is going on with IPVS-managed connections.

But one feature Joe said he would like to see (which makes a lot of sense) is if a kernel sysctl could be added - that would be a sure way of knowing that the antefacto patch had been applied to a given kernel - if the /proc entry existed. It would also be neat to be able to 'cat' the sysctl and get a string back, indicating which rev. of the patch was installed already -- although the version string would pretty much only need to be something "antefacto-2.4.19-1.0.7" to indicate for which kernel and IPVS version.

If anybody could offer some advice, or point me in the right direction, as to where I could find out all the inserted code that would need to be added to IPVS (ie, the antefacto patch which patches the IPVS and kernel source), this would be really helpful for everyone. I've looked over the IPVS source code myself, and found where the other IPVS sysctls are added, but I just don't understand it well enough to know what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance,
Vince W.
"vinnie"