Re: Connection table hashing

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Connection table hashing
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:01:11 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> > recent 2.4 and 2.5 kernels. We need some help from math
> > perspective.
>
> I'll check on that. What kind of math problems do you have? I could
> punish my students with it :):)

        We should not make conceptual errors when using these
hashes, especially when considering the random part.

> > http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/hashlvs-0.2.tgz - tools for tests
>
> Hehe, still the awk orgy :)

        Of course :)

> > of course to try them yourself. My conclusion is that 2654435761
> > is better and faster but I hope we will see other results.
>
> Hey, when we chose it back then it was for a good reason. Remember how
> Wensong did the inline trick? ;).

        I forgot everything :) I'm not sure we tested with the
right implementation.

> real    0m3.037s
> user    0m3.015s
> sys     0m0.000s
> Count=33030144
>
> real    0m1.953s
> user    0m1.880s
> sys     0m0.000s
> Count=33030144
>
> real    0m6.288s
> user    0m6.195s
> sys     0m0.005s

        it was expected but we have to see the access times
with different loaded directors.

> I hope to find some time to test the real hash stuff in your patch.

        ok, I'm going to sleep, the FNV stuff is interesting,
I suspect it will be slower but we will see the final access
times.

> Best regards,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz

Regards