Re: LVS-DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-DR
From: Peter Nash <peter.nash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:32:47 +0100

> hi
> I am using LVS-DR to balance 4 MS servers . Due to the nature of the web
> application and the user behavior I had to set the connection timeout as 30
> min . In case of  failure of one of the real servers users need to be forced
> to connect to a different server. That means the lvs tables need to cleared
> as far as connections from clients to the failed box , so that any reconnect
> trail will open new connection to one of  functioning servers . I an using
> ldirectord  to startup and monitor .

Hi Mike

I'm using LVS-NAT with persistence controlled by ldirectord.  I've found that the "quiescent=" line in ldirectord.cf controls the behaviour you are looking for.  If "quiescent=no" then when a realserver fails it's LVS entries are removed from the table and clients immediately failover to an alternate server.  If "quiescent=yes" then when a realserver fails it's entries remain in the LVS tables but the weight is set to 0 and clients will continue to try to connect to that server until the persistence expires.  The default setting (on my installation) was "yes" and I had to change this to get the behaviour I wanted.

Regards,

Peter.