increasing system performances

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: increasing system performances
From: <ilclaudio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:32:41 +0100
Hi,
We're looking for some suggestions about this strange situation.
Last week we tested a simple client-server system with two client
running Httperf
and a server running a web-server (Apache).
This test was done with Linux Red Hat 8.0 servers without LVS and
without load balancing.
The result was that we server was able to sustain a rate of almost 1000
requests/sec
(Httperf requested a simple html page of 8kB).

After the first test, we introduced a LVS load balancer (Linux Red Hat
8.0 server
with LVS-Direct Routing).
So the simple system was:   2 clients-----LVS(DR)----- 1 server .
We expected to obtain the same performances of the first system, but it
wasn't so.
The result, in fact, was that the server can sustain a lower rate (400
requests/sec).

We are investigating for the cause of this behaviour but at the moment
we don't know
what could be the cause of this problem, do you have any suggestions?

We observed that when the system works well the number of connections in
the ESTABLISHED
state is constant (on the real server), but when the Httperf rate slows
down the number
of ESTABLISHED connections grows quickly. Could it be the cause of the
problem?

Bye bye

claudio :-)