RE: LVS & MAC ADDRESS ISSUES

Subject: RE: LVS & MAC ADDRESS ISSUES
From: "Alex Tsalik" <tsalik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:50:38 -0500
thank you

-----Original Message-----
From: lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Horms
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 9:39 PM
To: LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 02:13:19PM -0500, tsalik@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The problem I am getting is that the MAC address of the Node that
> fails also fails over with the MAC address of the failing Node. In
> Layman's the MAC address also fails over which causes a latency issue
> with the failover. I am forced to use VRRP. Is there another way.

Why does the MAC address fail over? This should not be the case.
Just use IP address takeover which is supported by numerous tools
including: heartbeat, fake, feedbackd (VRRPv2 implementation).
This allows you to move an IP address from one host to another
without changing the MAC address which is something that is
difficult to do as NICs for PCs generally don't allow
you to have more than one MAC address associate with a single NIC.

--
Horms