Re: Confused noobie question

Subject: Re: Confused noobie question
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:28:00 -0500
"Ben M. Wall" wrote:

please turn line wrap on. Your paratgraphs are on one line that goes off the
edge of my page

>  I am not trying to loadbalance across the databases.

I was just making sure.

>  I just want failover from one database to the other if the first database
> fails.  My databases (MySQL) are set up to replicate one another so that in
> the failover situation the backup database will be mostly up to date.

>  Well, that makes me feel better, for a moment there I though that I was the
> only one who found this confusing!  :)

actually it's much worse than you think. Very few people understant it all
(including me) :-)

>  The databases are accessed only by the webservers.  Again I dont think I
> need to figure that one out.  I only need to write to one database and the
> others replicate that information.

again was just checking

>  Wow I have been using 2.4 kernels for a while now, its a wonder that I never
> ran into this before.
>  So it seems like this is really a firewalling issue.  It seems to me like I
> would want to be able to use netfilter for each virtual server seperately,
> and not just for the whole machine.

hmm, read

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.patches.html#firewall_on_director

> Is iproute2 as easy to set up as the eth0:185 syntax?

no it's a nightmare, which is why people are still using the alias style of
setting up IPs

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.policy_routing.html

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx