RE: LVS & UM 1.0.10 RH 9 HTTP POST request greater than ~1000

Subject: RE: LVS & UM 1.0.10 RH 9 HTTP POST request greater than ~1000
From: "Chris Paul" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:30:41 -0000
Jacob wrote:
> Decreasing the MTU with this bug only causes more problems; it causes the
> packets to fragment MORE often.  I see that Mr. Paul has done a more detail
> analysis later on.

How true. But how do I fix it then? Basically, I want a quick fix / MTU change
that I can use until I can rebuild the Kernel.

Reberto wrote:
> I cannot tell at the moment; also I didn't read the whole thread. I just
> answered to Horms. I now see your problem and I agree with Julian that we
> need
> to see a tcpdump.

The problem is I can not reproduce the error. We only have a small number of
non
technical customers who are having trouble, but I can only go so far when it
comes to asking them to debug our services.

I am curious, the IP tunnel is created by the realserver. Am I correct in
assuming the MTU reduction needs to be done on only the real servers? I have
now set the MTU for all the interfaces on the director to 1500 and the MTU for
the IP tunnels to 1400.

If this works then problem solved. If it doesn't then I will have to think
again.

If this is horribly wrong then please tell me. Another thing I am curious about
though.
What makes it fail on some machines and not others when posting exactly the
same
data? Does it have anything to do with the length of the ip address?
i.e. 194.104.106.155 will fail but, 80.7.35.16 will work?

Very strange. Anyways, thanks for the input guys. At least I know its not a
database problem!

Chris

Berkeley Alexander
Temple House, 25-26 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2SD
Tel 01273 477784, Fax 01273 478994
www.baonline.co.uk

PLEASE NOTE:
It may not represent the views of Berkeley Alexander. It is intended solely for
the addressees. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.