[ANNOUNCE] Keepalived 1.1.4

To: keepalived-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Keepalived 1.1.4
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: keepalived-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:19:52 +0100
Hi All,

I have just published to the Keepalived website the new release. It is late for a Christmas release, but not for a happy new year one !!!! :) This release provides a workaround for the SMP forking issue. It also includes an extension for the Kernel LinkWatch subsystem. This subsystem were created by Stefan Rompf and now part of the 2.6 stock kernel. It is not included in 2.4 branch this is why you will find a release for 2.4 on Keepalived website. In order to present the interest of this subsystem, I have wrote a small paper to present it, you will find it at both Keepalived website and www.linux-vs.org/~acassen/

The ChangeLog for this release is :

2003-12-29  Alexandre Cassen  <acassen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        * keepalived-1.1.4 released.
        * Refresh autoconf script to use autoconf 2.5.
        * Extended the autoconf script to support linkwatch kernel
          detection.
        * To work-around the SMP forking bug, added support to two
          new daemon starting options :
          --vrrp             -P    Only run with VRRP subsystem.
          --check            -C    Only run with Health-checker
                                   subsystem.
          Those options extend daemon design to support VRRP &
          heathchecking subsystem selection. You can now run
          two Keepalived daemon one invoqued with --vrrp and
          the other with --check. That way we workaround the
          forking issue by running one daemon per subsystem.
        * Tiddy cleanup in the daemon code.
        * VRRP : Extended the link media failure detection to support
          asynchronous NIC MII polling. The design use now, one
          dedicated polling thread per NIC. This reduce scheduling
          jitter by this way.
        * VRRP : Added support to kernel linkwatch subsystem. This
          patch that you will find a copy on the Keepalived website
          for the kernel 2.4 branch, provides kernel netlink broadcast
          events drived by NIC link media state event. That way
          we move from a polling design to an event design. Link
          events are received throught a kernel netlink broadcast
          socket in the userspace land. So, NIC media link failure
          detection is now provided by kernel netlink reflection.
          You can read the paper attached with the patch for
          indepth explanations.
        * VRRP : fixed timer computation to prevent against negative
          value.

All comments are welcome,

Best regards,
Alexandre