Re: LVS-DR and Service Monitoring

To: simon-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS-DR and Service Monitoring
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:39:29 -0500
Simon Young wrote:

> But if this is the case, what's the best way to monitor the services
> on the Realservers from the Director? Something like a mon script
> won't be able to do this, since the Realserver won't respond to
> connections to the real IP.

you run mon on the realserver (rather than the director) and check
the status from the director with

director # ssh realserver_1 your_mon_command

(I have not done this, this is just a suggestion)

> Also, is there any harm in having the service listen on both the VIP and
> the real IP (for a limited period), since I may need to do this during
> migration of a live system to LVS...

This is the way we did it in the early days and people are still doing it
this way. There's no real problem with running the service on the realserver
on both the VIP and the RIP, except that it's a bit of a kludge. It would be
nice not to have services listening on ports when they don't need to be - you
can
write tighter filter rules.

> Sorry if this is a FAQ :-)

it's in the HOWTO somewhere, but obviously it's hard to find

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx