LVS running in User Mode Linux

To: LinuxVirtualServer.org list. <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS running in User Mode Linux
From: Matthew Crocker <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:38:57 -0500

Hello all,

I'm working on the next generation of my network. Ideally I don't want any machine on the Internet but I would like to have the services the provide on the network. For example, I all of my servers to physically be on 192.168.x.y networks with User Mode Linux virtual machines running to handle each service. One physical machine may handle qmail in one UML, apache in another. If someone breaks root through an apache bug they do not become root on the network or the physical machine. Would it be possible to have a LVS enabled kernel running under a non-LVS enabled kernel using UML so my directors won't actually be on the Internet? If the LVS kernel crashed I could have the parent kernel restart the virtual machine with a shell script. root on any one machine will still be a normal user on the host machine and network.

-Matt