OT: Linux/iptables pfsync equivalent

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: OT: Linux/iptables pfsync equivalent
From: Josh Tolley <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:41:08 -0700
I realize that answering questions like this aren't the purpose of this list, however I can't think of a better place to find a bunch of people with an interest in Linux and high-availability, and would be grateful should the moderators choose to let this one through.

I'm looking at implementing redundant/failover routers using VRRP with keepalived, and would love to know of a way to get iptables state to transfer from one machine to another. OpenBSD's pfsync will do the equivalent with the OpenBSD pf firewall system, but I really don't want to go with CARP/pfsync simply because I am more comfortable with Linux than *BSD (which is not to say that I wouldn't love to get equally familiar with *BSD, it's just that this is going in a production environment). Anyway, my understanding now is that with something like keepalived, the backup router could tell the master has died and take over, but all ip_conntrack state would be lost, so existing connections would be terminated and have to be restarted. This isn't a situation that will end the world or the usefulness of redundant routers, but is inconvenient. The CARP/pfsync folks claim to have had four clustered routers told to reboot randomly over a period of two days, and as long as one of them was up at any given time, no one on the associated network noticed. Are Linux packages available to do this kind of thing?

While I'm at it, what's Cisco's big beef about VRRP, and what's the keepalived response? I hear rumors of patent arguments, etc...

Sorry for the not quite on topic question, and my thanks to any respondents.

--
Josh Tolley
Raintree Systems, Inc.