Re: OT: Linux/iptables pfsync equivalent

To: alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OT: Linux/iptables pfsync equivalent
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:39:38 -0400
Alexandre Cassen wrote:

Hello,
I planed to add support to CARP in future release, I exchanged with
OpenBSD author in the past asking to port it to linux. Since CARP is
quite similar to VRRP the work can be done very quickly, but as I
asked to OpenBSD hackers to port it quickly I need a small specs on
differences between VRRP and CARP... no news...

All I could find:

A reader who is familiar with VRRP will find this is somewhat familiar, however there are some significant differences:

* The CARP protocol is address family independent. The OpenBSD implementation supports both IPv4 and IPv6, as a transport for the CARP packets as well as common addresses to be shared. * CARP has an "arpbalance" feature that allows multiple hosts to share a single IP address simultaneously; in this configuration, there is a virtual MAC address for each host, but only one IP address. * CARP uses a cryptographically strong SHA-1 HMAC to protect each advertisement.

And digging around in the OpenBSD CVS:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/netinet/ip_carp.c
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/netinet/ip_carp.h

I've also seen reference to IP Protocol 21, which is VRRP, so I'm guessing they took VRRP and got rid of whatever the patent covered?

Is there a CARP lib that works with linux?  I found ucarp, but it's
all userland tools.

If you only need a small throught put then userland is enought, I
would said, is the best IMHO. To handle around 20pps is the worst
case... :)

True. My thinking is that, if a libcarp existed, you (or whoever maintains CARP for keepalived) wouldn't have to keep up with a userland tool's changes.

Any idea where the RFC for the CARP protocol is?  I can only find
info on CARP as used in Squid, which isn't the same protocol.

If you got some specs please forward then :)

I've been digging around for an hour now, but I can't find anything useful :(

--
-Jacob