Re: 3-nodes active backup

Subject: Re: 3-nodes active backup
From: Brett Simpson <simpsonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:55:48 -0400
On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 08:37, Shinichi Kido wrote:
> Thanks to kind members supporting this mailing list,
> I became to compose two nodes active-backup cluster
> using  heartbeat.
>
> Now, I'm  thinking if it is possible to compose 3-nodes active backup
> (1 active and 2 backup), I can achieve the higher reliability and cost
> effectiveness at once.
>
> Is it possible ?

It is but I did it with Keepalived. Actually I used an
Active/Active/Active setup.

LVS Director one - Primary for LVS-NAT/LVS-DR.
LVS Director two/Primary Mail Server/Secondary DNS - Backup for
everything except Mail and Secondary for LVS-NAT/LVS-DR.
LVS Director three/Secondary Mail Server/Primary DNS- Backup for
everything except DNS and Secondary (lower priority than director two)
for LVS-NAT/LVS-DR.

For Mail and DNS I only used the failover functionality in Keepalived
while for anything that used LVS-NAT I did both failover and
loadbalancing.