Evaluating LVS: persistent connections and new sessions

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Evaluating LVS: persistent connections and new sessions
From: Richard Human <lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:31:44 +0100
Hi all

I am currently evaluating a load-balancing solution for my platform and LVS is one of the main contenders. However, I have one requirement that I'm not sure if LVS will meet. I've been trawling through the documentation and archives, but can't seem to find the answer.

So I need to load-balance a set of tomcat application servers running a stateful web application. This means that I need to direct HTTP connections for the same session to the same box. The persistent connection feature of LVS should handle this.

However, I have a requirement that I need to be able to put a real server into a state such that the director does not forward new "sessions" to the box but does continue to forward *existing* sessions to the box. The reason for this is that if we need to perform maintenance on a real server we need to be able to "drain" the sessions off it and, once all users have logged off that box, we can shutdown the tomcat application server.

(For those of you interested in these things, apache+mod_jk was our first choice but does not work well enough, and also it is not possible to make the application clusterable over multiple tomcat backends without a substantial reworking of the codebase).

Does LVS have this capability? (Or am I just missing something in the docs?)

Thanks for your time
Cheers
Richard