Re: Problems with https

Subject: Re: Problems with https
From: Johan van den Berg <vdberj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:13:06 +0200

1. Why does the addresses appear in this way (server1 with dns address and server2 with ip address)?

The reverse lookup on your DNS server must be failing. Try doing a dig [ipaddress] on both IP's and see whether it returns a name for both.

2. When I write in my browser https://server1/myappp/index.jsp or https://server2/myapp/index.jsp (you know, I have Apache which redirects to Tomcat), everything runs OK. But when I write in my browser https://virtualServer/myapp/index.jsp the page cannot be found. Why?

Please check whether virtual hosting is set up correct. Is your apache answering the 404, or is tomcat? You should get the same problem if you assign one of your real servers another name in the DNS server, and try accessing it directly using the new name.

These are the contents of the files error_log and access_log in the server in which the request are sent:

error_log
[Mon Feb 7 13:49:03 2005] [error] [client <a ip>] Invalid method in request \x80L\x01\x03

Not at all sure why this is happening...

access_log
<same ip> - - [07/Feb/2005:13:49:03 +0100] "\x80L\x01\x03" 501 -

The files ssl_request_log and ssl_engine_log remain with no new lines.

I would be thanked if somebody can reply to me.

Thanks everybody.

Johan van den Berg
Technical Webmaster
University of South Africa