Re: squid with LVS----------------

Subject: Re: squid with LVS----------------
From: Con Tassios <ct@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:20:02 +1100 (EST)
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, SUKHWINDER PAL wrote:

sir,
We had sent this query already to Mr.Horms ,May be he
is busy.That's why we are putting this query on this
forum also:-
In one of the articles on the internet it is written
that "Unfortunately the Transparent proxy that comes
with 2.4.x kernels does not work with LVS"
Is it meant that we can not make squid with LVS.As we
are working now on a project on squid with LVS.We are
using kernel 2.4.28 on LVS and kernel 2.4.20 on
Realserrvers(squis servers)

Transparent proxy with squid works well if you use fwmarks. I use it
with the following LVS-DR configuration

- Directors: kernel 2.4.29, keepalived 1.1.7
- Real Servers: standard RHEL kernel, squid, noarp

On the director:

Assumming 192.168.0.0/16 is the local network, mark all non local http packets
with mark 1.

# iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d !192.168.0.0/16 --dport 80 -j MARK
--set-mark 1

Use these commands so LVS will see the packets

# ip rule add prio 100 fwmark 1 table 100
# ip route add local 0/0 dev lo table 100

Configure the squid servers to handle transparency the normal way as described
in the squid documentation.

Then configure LVS using fwmark 1 as the virtual service.