RE: Keepalives

Subject: RE: Keepalives
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:00:57 +0100

Jacob Coby :
> Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:50 PM
> To: LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.
> Subject: Re: Keepalives
>
> Joseph Mack wrote:
> >
> > there are application level keepalives? not just the transport layer
> keepalives?
>
> Apache has the KeepAlive option.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#keepalive
>
> It's one of the first things to turn off when you start getting a lot of
> traffic.

Well, this is a dangerous shortcut. Sometimes, opening/closing connection
hundred times a second could put down your server. Turning off HTTP keepalive
implies a good choice between the 3 available apache mpms.

In my cases, I turn it off for the banner server but keep it on (a short one
but on) on our products sites (lot of little images).

Anyway, keepalive on or off will not affect your LVS performances. And now,
for something completely different, persitence (aka affinity) will.

François.