LVS+NAT not balancing properly

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: LVS+NAT not balancing properly
From: "Pat Felt" <pfelt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:44:25 -0700
I know that I am missing something here, but google won't yield the
answers to me (after a few days of searching).  I have an LVS+NAT
configuration with two realservers in the back.  I have a load and
stress tool that I can use to simulate up to 100 users and it is this
tool that I use to test the configuration on the balancer.  I also am
using keepalived in the configuration that monitors the realservers and
removes them if they become unresponsive.

In least-connection mode:

  About 98% of all connections hit realserver 1 with the remaining 2%
hitting realserver 2.  Eventually realserver 1 gets so busy that
keepalived thinks the box is down and removes it from the lvs
configuration.  Realserver 2 takes the load.  When realserver 2 is at
about 98% of the load, realserver 1 comes back online and takes the
additional 2% and the process repeats itself.

In round-robin mode:

  100% of all connections hit realserver 1 until it gets too busy and
goes down.  Realserver 2 takes the load and eventually goes down (before
realserver 1 is back up).

What have I misconfigured?

Patrick Felt