Re: Howto webcluster

Subject: Re: Howto webcluster
From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:11:22 +0100
Norman,

I could give you some help, what kind of setup would you want to use?
(lvs-dr,nat or tun?)

I have some experience with lvs-dr, since i just setup a lamp cluster with the following specs.
2x loadbalancer/director (and also realserver)
3 webservers
1 mysql servers (pretty beefy machine)
1 filserver (unison file replicated pool, mysql slave backup)

I'd you best use one or two small load balancers in a failover config.
If you;re load balancers are fast machines, you could also employ them as realservers.
2 or more realservers, which all provide the same services.
1 or 2 storage servers, sharing the entire "active" filepool for all realservers (to keep them in sync and working on the same data)

The biggest problem afaik is the storage and lamp part.
You'd probably need a shared storage like NFS/CIFS (but those are slow-ish), or you'd need a two replicating update machanism (like a difficult coda setup or unison) The mysql server is also a problem, and you'd probably want to use just one mysql server. (because replication inside mysql to slave servers isn't real stable) and you could only use the slaves for select query's.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Norman Uittenbogaart wrote:

Is there a good howto somewhere for setting up a failover LAMP webcluster with about 4 to 6 machines and a NAS server?
Or is there someone who can tell me what the best setup will be ?
I was thinking about 2 boxes as loadbalancer and 2 as web/mail/dns and 2 as MySQL server is that about right ?
And which webhosting controlpanel's are compatible with a HA setup ?

Best regards,

Norman