Re: persistents connections

Subject: Re: persistents connections
From: Volker Dormeyer <volker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:45:28 +0100
Hi,

 //> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:28:27 -0300,
 //> "Montervino, Mariano" <mmontervino@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  > I need to know if LVS resolve the following issue...
  > Situation:
  > 5 external serves connect to the linux director of the lvs system with 3
  > real servers. The connection of the external server are persistent (they
  > never close the connection) and use same keepalive packets to force traffic
  > in the session.

  > In that scenario the linux director still balance the load or only do that
  > if each request are a new connection?

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, maybe this is what you
mean:

the scheduler determines the real server to direct the traffic to on the
first connection request of the external system. If neither the real
server, nor the external system closes the connection, the director will
direct further requests within this TCP session to the same real server.
If external system and real server are silent for a while, the TCP
session timeout on the director will terminate the session. This can be
prevented by sending keepalives or setting the timeout value higher. If
I remember correctly, the default value is 15 minutes.

If you don't use LVS session persistence, the scheduler determines a new
real server for the external system on each new request (new connection
/session). Otherwise, even new requests will be directed to the same
real server like the first connection was directed to.

Regards
Volker

--
 Volker Dormeyer        <volker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>