clearing persistent connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: clearing persistent connections
From: jos houtman <jos@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:51:37 +0100
Hello List,

We are using the lvs to loadbalance about 30 webservers.
We use the Direct Routing architecture.

We have also setup a monitor service (using mon) to monitor the servers for
database replication problems or http problems and remove them from the load balancer if necessary.

_CURRENT SITUATION_
our current setup is that first the weight gets set to 0, and after some time it is removes from the cluster.
This all is to give the server some time to breath and catch up.
If it comes back up, mon will put it in the loadbalancer again.

But now, if we want to maintain a server, we will remove it from the loadbalancer.
wreck havoc on the server, so that mon will detect that it doesnt work.
if at sometime mon will detect that it is working again and put it in the loadbalancer.
Which is not what i want, because i was still working on it.

_WANTED SITUATION_
so what I want to do, is let mon put the weight to 0. and after a while clear the active persistent connections.
So that it is effectively out of the cluster.
if it comes back up, mon can put the weight back to 1.

But if i decide to maintain a server, i can take it out of the cluster (-d). and mon can try what it want to put the weight back to 1. but the server wont be there. another advantage is that i can see which servers are not working in the cluster because there weight is 0.

Since i can allready hear you ask the question i will answer it now :)
why i dont want to edit the mon config?
Because each server represents about 30 lines of config, and its alot of work to comment that :( .

So is there a way to clear the active persistent connections of a server?

With regards,

jos