[OT] Re: Loadbalancing Datbases - mysql

Subject: [OT] Re: Loadbalancing Datbases - mysql
From: Nigel Hamilton <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 05:28:20 -0500 (CDT)
Now it looks that there will be a solution for that. I found a thread in the
myslq-cluster mailing list and a link in the manual. Mysql 5.1 will be able
to handle disk-based records in the cluster (see link and thread) ... and I
think this will be a very nice solution (furthermore the mysql cluster code
is more stable and more tested).

Link:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-5-1-cluster-roadmap.html

Aarrgh ... it always seems the MySQL feature I need is always N+1 versions away! :-)

Certainly the RAM requirements of the initial MySQL Cluster design makes it unworkable for me so a hybrid RAM + disk-based system is welcome news.

We have a slightly unusual situation in that our writes may equal or exceed reads - I was planning on using "memcached" to help with handing off as many reads as possible to a distributed RAM bucket. But I'm still thinking of ways to distribute writes - ideally at the application level all I need is a database handle that connects to one big high speed amorphous distributed DB.

My current short term solution to distributing writes is to use a MySQL heap/ram table on each node which acts as a bucket collecting writes which is periodically emptied to the Master's disk.

But I'm not sure how far I can get with this approach. I'd be interested in hearing how others have made their MySQL-based application scale up?

Nige