Re: DR or NAT

Subject: Re: DR or NAT
From: Bruce Richardson <itsbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:43:08 +0100
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:52:42PM +0200, orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are using now our LVS in DR configuration. But we are considering to move
> to NAT. Can somebody tell me disadvantages and advantages (securit,
> connection handling, and..... ) of NAT configuration and if it is hard (or
> how to, easy) to change it.

The advantages of NAT are that it doesn't require any special settings
(e.g. arp suppression on the application servers), that you can
reconfigure which virtual ip is associated with a back-end server
by modifying the director alone and that it's easier to do connection
tracking.  The main disadvantage is that all traffic goes through the
director, making the director a potential bottleneck.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.