Re: Inverting LVS

To: Joshua Blocher <verbalshadow@xxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Inverting LVS
From: Rob <ipvsuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:35:21 -0700
Joshua Blocher wrote:
Ok quick idea of what i want/need to do.

I have 2 ( possible 3 soon) Satielites Dish that provides internet to my LAN. What i would like is to have LVS loading balance the outgoing requested between them, is this possible. Also i have no control over the SATs defualt gateway cause they are my outgoing gateway.

To clerify LAN merges into One LVS Box and it balances the traffic to the SATs.

Thanks,
josh

pf from OpenBSD can do some of this (or another "hardware"/software router
would work).
With LVS all the parties involved in the balancing are somehow "in on it".
If I get your question, you are talking about load balancing access to
resources on the internet.

pf can do per-flow/per-tcp connection route balancing or using a complex mix of
ip address/port,
queue allocation, etc. http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html#outgoing

Also, http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html not sure it this
has more/less features than pf.

Not sure of you could use ospf that is now in OpenBSD 3.7 don't know if it
supports ECMP.
It should, it says it supports RFC 2328 and RFC 2328 says:
"OSPF provides support for equal-cost multipath." right in the abstract
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2328.html

You might also try zebra or quagga, etc - I saw mention that someone thought the OpenBSD implementation of ospf in ospfd was "tighter" than zebra/quagga YMMV.

Rob

http://pilot.org.ua/zebra/kodgehopper-ecmp.html