Re: ClusterIP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ClusterIP
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:36:21 +0100
On Mon 13 Jun 2005 13:06:51 BST , Gavin Henry <ghenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
What is the lists view on it?

Can it really be compared to LVS?

The man page for more recent versions of iptables says:

- CLUSTERIP This module allows you to configure a simple
- cluster of nodes that share a certain IP and MAC address
- without an explicit load balancer in front of them

So without going into a huge amount of detail, my take on the "comparison" question would be a resounding "no".

It might be useful for small projects where very simple 'clustering' is used (speech marks intentional), such as a simple 2 server setup, but IMO in no way could you directly compare it to LVS because it's so basic.

Don't get me wrong; everything has its' place and this is probably tremendously useful under certain conditions, I just can't see them for the number of LVS-style systems I can prod from here :)

Graeme