Re: Shared storage for realservers

Subject: Re: Shared storage for realservers
From: Joe Stump <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:33:54 -0700
Depends on a lot of things. I use NFS (kernel space) over TCP (version 3 I think). I have three nodes, two directors (running failover with keepalived) and a database server. My DB server runs double duty as the NFS server (Dual Opteron w/ 160'ish DB of RAID5 SATA drives). This setup handles 10 million pages a month with relative ease (load rarely if ever goes over 1.00 on any of the servers).

Some things to watch out for if you're running PHP in this setup with sessions.

1.) Make sure all of your nodes point to the same session directory
2.) Set up your own garbage collection for session files (I nuke session files that haven't been accessed in the last 6 hours with find).

Works like a charm - I've seen a similar setup (only with a dedicated NetApp 760) service 30 million pages a month with relative ease (on slower node/db hardware too).

HTH,

--Joe