Re: LVS Cluster More Than One IP

To: Brad Taylor <btaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS Cluster More Than One IP
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:58:44 +0900
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:40:26PM -0400, Brad Taylor wrote:
> I have an LVS cluster(failover) setup now using UltraMonkey 3.  Could
> this same cluster load balance a 2nd IP address?  If so what would need
> to be changed or what would I need to do?  Thanks for any help.

Hi Brad

LVS and in turn Ultra Monkey can manage as many addresses as you want.
If you only want a few, then just add each of them to the haresources
file, and configure the associated virtual in the ldirectord.cf. If you
are using the high capacity or streamline topologies you will also need
to add additional loopback entries, and if you are using one of those
topologies on RHEL3, then you will need to add aditional ARP rules. But
in short, all you need to do is read through the configuration
guidelines that you used to set up your cluster in the first place, and
duplicate anything that was done for your 1st virtual IP address (VIP)
for the second. This holds regardless of how you configured your
cluster. However if you want a lot of VIPs, you are best to
group them together using fwmarks and just have networks of VIPs routed
to a single super-VIP that is handled by heartbeat.

--
Horms