lvs-dr realserver maintenance

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: lvs-dr realserver maintenance
From: Alessandro Tarchi <alessandro.tarchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:16:27 +0200
Hi,
I set up 2 server as lvs-dr balancer in HA and 2 realserver apache in
the same subnet.
For lvr-dr nodes I used rhES3 with rpm packages ipvsadm and piranha
(pulse + nanny).
For apache nodes I used rhES3 with kernel 2.4.29 and these settings:

net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

in /etc/sysctl.conf to solve the arp problem.

The system seems to work right, but when I stop apache on a realserver
(i.e. for maintenance), I see (ipvsadm -l) the weight change from 1 to 0
but the entry is still present and the client directed on that
realserver lose the connection.

Then, if I force a director failover on the backup node the entry with 0
weigth disappear and all clients get directed on the active realserver.

I don't know the way to manually clean the connection table of ipvsadm,
but I expected this to be the normal behavior.

Maybe a misconfiguration, or something else.

Thank you,
Alessandro

Alessandro Tarchi
Regione Toscana - Giunta Regionale
Organizzazione e Sistema Informativo - I.I.T.R.
Via di Novoli, 26 - 50127 Firenze - Italia
Tel. 055.438.3041 - Fax 055.438.3056
e-mail: alessandro.tarchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx