Re: Interesting Setup?

Subject: Re: Interesting Setup?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:07:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I have 3 boxes, which are all connected to the public network, but also to a private segment.

be careful, not all ascii art survived e-mail.
Make it 40 char or so wide and don't mix
blanks and tabs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------public
net (82.94.229.128/25)
                                     |                  |

| loadbalancer | | /\ | | / \ | | / \ | | / \ | server 1- - - - - - server 2

The connections between the loadbalancer and the real servers is done by a vlan part on a switch, with 172.16.125.0/24 addresses.

I would like to have the following setup:

1. All webtraffic (http/https) must be handled by the loadbalancer 2. All ssh traffic must be performed directly to the real servers 3. Optional, i must have the possibility for handling certain protocols by the real servers, like DNS, or, if there is the need, by the loadbalancer. (like pop3 for example)

Whenever i add the default route on the real servers to the 82.94.229.129 gateway, nothting happens when connecting to the loadbalancer port 80. When i change the default route to the private ip on the loadbalancer, it works, but the real servers cannot be connected trough ssh.

points:

o an LVS is usually operated as if it were one machine.
The realservers are on private IPs and are not accessable
by the clients. This makes it easy to keep the realservers
secure. You can make the realservers routable if you like,
but you must understand the security implications.

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html#Pearthree

o you need the iproute2 tools. Concepts like a default
gw are only used on leaf nodes where they have one IP
and all packets come in and out through a single gateway.
In your setup on the realservers

all packets from RIP to the RIP network are routed locally.

tcp packets from RIP:ssh to 0/0:0 are routed to the 82.x.x.x machine

tcp and udp packets from RIP:dns to 0/0:0 are routed to the 82.x.x.x machine

tcp and udp packets from VIP:dns are routed to the DIP

tcp packets from VIP:http and VIP:https are routed to the DIP

other packets are not routed (they can't go anywhere),
ie you do not have a default route.

For examples on how to route by port, look at

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.3-Tier.html

Don't expect this to be real easy ;-)

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!