RE: SSL acceleration for a web farm

Subject: RE: SSL acceleration for a web farm
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:30:20 -0700
> > Why are you worrying about offloading it?  I would just buy
> some boxes
> > with faster CPU's if speed is a concern.  The time it takes to ship
> > the data back and forth over the bus to the SSL accelerator your
> > processor
> > probably could have taken care of it.  Especially if the algorithm
> > uses
> > all the bell and whistle features todays CPUs have.
>
> I was wondering the same thing - they call it a Random Array of
> Inexpensive Computers (RAIC) for a reason don't they? I use LVS for
> two reasons:

If Ryan's traffic is primarily SSL then using a few hardware accelerators
makes a lot of sense.  If it is a normal mix of port 80 and 443 then it
probably does not.  Having done some tests in the past I can tell you for a
certainty that SSL accelerators can be very cost effective in the right
situation.

Regards,